Saturday 1 February 2014

Being a Blessing








Like a ritual, I put on my earphones when I get into the bus and I get lost in the music, sometimes I would dream about my future and sometimes I would take time and see what is happening outside. So this particular day, a young lady came and sat next to me with a cute baby girl and sat the baby in between us. Sure I didn't mind getting squeezed by her and I felt a sense of "pride" that I had grown in character from the days when such things would be part of my conversation on how people are inconsiderate in public vehicles. As we went along I felt this urge to pay the woman's bus fare and I remembered that morning asking God to use me to bless someone. So I knew this was my chance but I ended up reasoning myself out of it..thinking " no Lord this can't be you, she will probably think I am weird or embarrass me in front of every one" . I believe that day I missed an opportunity to be blessed. 

Take a moment and think about some opportunities you have had to be a blessing to somebody and you didn't simply because you came up with an excuse...like naaah! I don't have enough money,or I don't have the time, I don't know them, why do I have to do it..and the list goes on and on.

I believe that every time we pass an opportunity to be a blessing to someone we miss out on God's blessings on our lives. Because He has instructed us in His word to love others and if we live in obedience to His word we end up blessed. So how are we living in love when we are so caught up in ourselves that we fail to see those around us who may need a helping hand? How are we living in love if at the end of everyday we are always so concerned about what we would get out of people more than what we would give?

Mathew 5:16:In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
Philippians2:3-4: Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.  
Luke 6:31 :And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.  

I want us to challenge ourselves today to ask God every morning to show us someone we will bless for that day...make up a list of the people you will be around that day and purpose to be a blessing to them either a word of encouragement, being a listening ear, offering to buy them lunch or a snack. On top of all that make sure you don't reason yourself out of it.
  I believe that the reason why most of us are miserable or frustrated is because we have ourselves on our minds all day, every day. Take up this challenge today where every morning you think on purpose on how you will be a blessing to someone and see how much your joy will increase just because you took time to take care of someone else's needs.


There are other times when I chose to take a chance and bless someone despite the fear of being rejected and in some way or another I would see God open up some doors that I thought would never be open, not only that but even the smile from those people would turn my worst days to my best days....


2 comments: