Thursday 13 June 2013

Judging





I could not wrap my head around the fact that I had just received a text from a girl I had just met telling me I am a pretty stranger Ha! at a time in our country where the headlines are about a certain man changing to be a woman. I was terrified that a girl was making a pass at me, what made it more weird is that I was still seated next to her in the bus when she texted me. I narrated the story to one of my friends later on and she insisted the girl was weird and I agreed 100%. In my quiet time I remembered that she told me her parents are divorced and she was heading to her mother's place. I had noticed the screen on her phone was broken and had a red stain which she later explained it was blood from a time when her dad hit her because she had lost the keys to the house. She had blood all over her bedroom wall that she refused to wipe so it could just stay there as a reminder.
She is planning to join school next month and study to become a doctor and she believes her life will get better. I also shared this with the friend who we had got into agreement that the girl was weird and my friend told me she does not believe in coincidences everything is God-ordained.
This statement made me think that maybe she was not making a pass on me but simply appreciating a stranger that took time to talk to her. How many times are we quick to render people weird? awkward? loosers? because of certain things they do. Maybe if we took time to hear their story and try understand where they come from, then we would see them differently. Everyone struggles with one thing or the other some have too much going on in their lives.

1 Samuel  16:7 But the LORD said to Samuel, "Don't judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The LORD doesn't see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

Let it be your prayer today to see people as God sees them and not to judge. Let God open up your eyes to see beyond the image that person portrays.  Remember unless you walk in that person's shoes you might never understand why they are the way the are.

2 comments:

  1. This is an area that I need to work on asap!!
    Thank you for this post!!!

    ReplyDelete