Friday 20 September 2013

Be yourself

One of my favorite pastime activity is watching wildlife documentaries, I just love love love them. Now that we know the degree of my interest in watching them I just had to share some things I learn from this.



A leopard had just caught prey and some lionesses had their eye on the meat so they were determined to have it by any means possible, the leopard picked up the meat and climbed up the tree. The lion tried to get up the tree but could not get half way up the tree for obvious reasons-lions are not designed to climb trees.
My favorite hunters are cheetahs, they usually start sprinting for their prey from a far distance compared to lions who creep up to almost being a stone throw away from their prey. Despite cheetahs sprinting from afar they almost never miss their prey, wuuuh! they are fast!
I cannot talk about wild animals without mentioning one of the wonders of the world, the wildebeest migration, its amazing how they know when to move from Serengeti National Park to Maasai Mara hey! that is what leaves us wondering.

So what am I getting at? I think one of the things that fascinates me about animal behavior is that they react and act the way they do out of instinct. Its how God created them to be, you will never see a cheetah trying to behave like a lion or vice verse. They seem to know their limits and strengths e.g the lion trying to climb the tree reached a point and knew that no matter how hungry they are that tree climbing was just not for them and the cheetah who undoubtedly knows they have speed hence they do not creep up on the prey for long.  Even the migration, no one tells or leads them to cross the Mara.
Just like the animals, when God created us He placed specific talents, gifts and personalities in each one of us. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, we were uniquely created for our different God-given destinies.

Jeremiah 1:5: “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.” 
Psalms 139:14: I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. 
So where do we get the idea that we have to act like someone else to be better, that we  get jealous of what someone else has or when they get what we wanted?
I believe that we all have our portion in life and that God did not make a mistake when He made us look the way we do, when He gave us the talents and gifts we have or giving us the personalities we have. He simply has a plan for me and you and they cannot be the same so quit being jealous of others, quit trying to be like someone else embrace what you have, discover God's will for your life, get to know your talents and gifts that God placed in you. Maybe you have believed the Devil's lie that you are weird but God says you are different because He made all of us different so as to fulfill different things.
So, stop competing with everyone else and just be YOU because God created you to just be YOU.

1 comment: