Thursday 5 September 2013

Flavours


This post was written by a very close friend of mine whom I have learned a lot from and she surprised me with this post and I just had to share it....truly I am blessed with great friends. 




Most of us have a dire need to make something to be (for) pleasurable to our senses. It may be  an addition of salt to food to please the tongue, it maybe a specific type of lotion you apply on your skin for that fair touch; or it could even be that very expensive perfume you save for months just to ensure you smell good. We all have those things that we call our favourite of something, the things we think we cannot do without and those we would sacrifice almost everything and anything to ensure we had all the time. All these things we attach ourselves to, are meant to make life easier for us or to simply ‘spice’ up our lives. These are the things I would like to call ‘flavours’ for this post.
Well, I don’t think it is bad or wrong to have something as a favourite or to have a ‘flavour’, unless it is in excess and swaying us from doing good than harm. Most people love spicy food, with all the cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and black pepper…you name it! That is when they eat in plenty, with more and more servings till their stomachs cannot take it anymore. But it is rather obvious, that it gets to a point when the body cannot handle any more extras, and what happens?
We either voluntarily let go of exceeding the limits our body can take, or we reluctantly let nature take its course and teach us a lesson. An example is when one takes too much salt, then after some time, (s)he gets salt related complications and unfortunately the doctor advices that salt be avoided. If it were you, you would tend to think that life without salt is impossible but with time you get used to doing without it till you find yourself in a comfort zone. Another case scenario is when one indulges in too much alcohol till a life threatening situation presents itself thanks to that same bottle! Then that’s when this person decides to quit alcohol for good…and that’s when a self realization is made, that this ‘type’ of flavour is not good and life without it is best!
Different things work for different people, your ‘flavor’ might not be my ‘flavour’ but what we should remember is that we were not born depending on these things because they are not essentials that we need for our survival!
There was a time my flavor was a person; this person would make me feel excited whenever I had a glimpse of them passing by. All of a sudden I felt my life depended on this being solely, and every decision I would make would be communicated earlier on before everyone else to them. I was extremely happy with my life at this juncture, and at times to think of my future life without this person- would be simply absurd. However things tend to change- and my ‘flavour’ stopped being my flavour. I felt like my life was crumbling into tiny pieces, I cried to myself, to others and then finally to God. I had totally given up, and I was sure that no one could help.
Sometimes it’s hard to find answers just when we need them most. Life was difficult then, but it was through FAMILY and a few friends’ support that I could trust; that I critically thought of life without this spice and I realized that it would be very much possible. I also started putting more trust in God; and the end result- I realized that God is the only ‘flavour’ that can never be too excessive for me to handle. I am still making baby steps, I know I am not perfect but at list now, only GOD is my flavour [Psalm 86:4]. I am more content after making this decision!


1st Peter 2:10  Once you received none of God’s mercy; now you have received HIS mercy.

Zephaniah 3:17 The LORD your God has arrived to live among you. He is a mighty Saviour.

He will rejoice over you with great gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will

exult over you by singing a happy song.


Psalm 86:4 Give me happiness oh Lord, for my life depends on you.


Proverbs 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.

Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment