Saturday 14 September 2013

Christianity 101 lesson 3

Lessons from friends

 

 

I am truly grateful for the friends I have,they add value to my life and every time am with them I learn new things about being a light in the world and being a blessing to others. These are just a few of the lessons I have picked up from them...

 Look out for Others Interests
Just recently one of my friends gave birth to a bouncing baby boy, I have just seen the pictures and I can't wait to see him up close. So two of my friends, Shakina* and Shataya*  have visited her more than once since and being the girls they are they always do a lot of shopping before heading there. They show me what it means to be a true friend because they celebrate you through the good and the bad, they help our "mama" friend with the new born and am talking about the waking up in the middle of the night kind of help and changing diapers (Will have to confirm if they changed diapers).Oh! I might add the "mama" friend does not live that close by. They show me that being a friend means taking time out of your schedule and being there for a friend in need, going out of your way and show her that you care, that words are not enough but actions will truly show that you love and care about them.  They show selfless love.

Philippians 2:4 
do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.

 Being Generous
Francisca* is a friend I have known since I was 10 years old and she was 11. We usually introduce ourselves as sisters to strangers. I usually have to fight with her about who will pay the fare, pay for lunch or any kind of bill we might incur when we hang out because she always insists on paying for everything not because she is rich but because she believes you do not need to have more than enough to be a giver. When am broke she always has my back and she gets me lunch or whatever or when I get myself complaining how I have so many things to do and no money to do them, her response is always " YOU ARE A CHILD OF THE MOST HIGH YOU SHALL NEVER LACK". This is what makes her have such a giving heart because she has mastered that God will always bless a hand that gives and He shall never let us lack, the same way he takes care of the lilies He will take care of us. So our lack should never be a hindrance for us to be a blessing to others.

Proverbs 22:9 He who is generous will be blessed, For he gives some of his food to the poor

Luke 6:38: Give, and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, they will pour into your lap. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return.

Trusting God
Camilla* has gone through a lot this year she lost her sister and her relatives ended up in hospital for sometime but now thank God they are okay. I was amazed by the strength she had during this tough time in her life, she would say that her heart will bless the Lord through it all and in the end she believed God will see her through. I am not sure I would have had her attitude if I was in the same situation probably I would have been mad at God and decide that I was better off without Him. She never gave up on God, she never saw the tragedy as His fault but she looked to Him to be her source of strength and praised His name and thanking Him that through it all He held her hand.

Philippians 4:12-13: I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
1peter 5:1: And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.

 Being an example
Diane* , I have known her since my freshman year in College,its amazing how God builds friendships. We barely said a word to each other during our first semester and now we talk daily and talk about EVERYTHING that happens to us  to the smallest details. She was and still is an example to me of Christian living, she would wake up daily at 5am and go out to spend time with God in prayer during this time I had one foot in the world and the other in church so I did not see the sense of her going through all that trouble and our first class was to start at 10am, I usually told her she would rather go for a jog. Now I understand why it is important for a Christian to prioritize time to spend time with God in prayer and reading the word. It is that close relationship with Christ that sets apart the true Christian from the Luke-warm Christian.

Ephesians 5:11: Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.

1 Corithians11:1 :Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.
 
Mathew 5:16: In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. 
 * the names have been changed for certain reasons. I love my friends.



2 comments: